Monday, May 21, 2012

Mumewin Letters 10


15th of Second Spring, 2,001 (AZD)
Friends at the Library of Annalow,

This morning, I got a good look at the village and structure of buildings the Effees call home and found myself interested not so much in the structures, which would be interesting enough to any architect, but the material they use. The Effee's here seems to have a reliance on Iron Grass, that rarely seen bamboo. I never knew it grew down here at the Breathless grasslands even though I must have seen forests of it when traveling from the fall of the Silver River as I believe before harvest, it looks exactly like any other form of Bamboo.

Incredible. The homes of this tribe form sturdy domed buildings consisting half of the Iron Grass and half of long vines. You must understand, my friends, there are no trees in this land. The animals take refuge atop hill tops that rise out of the wetness spread apart quite sparsely, so it's easy enough to find the wild life during the night, if you're willing to brave it. One hill top may hold all the grey panthers who hold a wet season truce with, perhaps, a small heard of elephants. The Spingbok and Gemsbok halt their nomadic ways and pull together in family home hills during the rain.

I must return here during the dry season to see how the animals interact then, but before that I should attempt to inquire about the Iron grass. I've still no clue where I could go to find some. I've seen huge forests of Bamboo here, but can't tell the difference between regular and Iron.

Speaking of observations. Later in the day, I've attracted a small audience of kits, that is, child effees. While wringing my vest dry, I caught site of their ears sticking out of the grass fields at the corner of my vision. I couldn't say what stories they've been told of the "devils of Annalow."

I did my best to feign ignorance and finished packing some supplies before one of my exploratory walks. Myself busied with preparations, I saw a set of white ears get closer and cautiously closer, no doubt dared by the others. When close enough, I dropped down into the grass and slid to the other side of my tent. There, I waited until I heard the kit draw close. Out I jumped with a mighty "BOO!" and chuckled as the child ran away yelling back to his friends.

It's good to know that no matter where I wander, children are pretty much the same.

Your's,
Professor Steven Mumewin

No comments:

Post a Comment